Welcome to the Nostalgic Ramber





Hans Jeff Borger is heard on WRGE 97.9 FM in Ocala, FL featuring Christian programming.

"The Nostalgic Rambler" radio show can be heard on Youtube. Just search for Hans Jeff Borger Nostalgic Rambler.





Why a blog? I wrote a book "The Little Grownup: a nostalgic Michigan boyhood" which should appeal to most baby boomers. A mass market book? Well, not yet...but the potential is there! (Be sure to buy it at "finer on line bookstores" everywhere!)

The comments presented in "The Nostalgic Rambler" probably won't be of interest to the masses...anymore. If grandma and grandpa and their friends were still alive, then it would be a different story.

I live in the past. My time warp is a comfortable cocoon even if it sometimes drives my wife crazy. The music of the 1940s and 50s, the stars of those days were big stuff in their day, but are now almost forgotten. Oddly enough, I was born in '64 so those iconic years were for the most part over by that time.

Through "The Nostalgic Rambler" I maybe can help share my love and knowledge for those times and things...all at one time important pieces of Americana but now a bit faded in memory.

The woman who did the blog about cooking all of Julia Childs' French Cuisine Cookbook in a year got a sweet movie deal out of her blog experience. I wouldn't mind that but would be happy to know that you are reading this....and maybe enjoying my time warp, too.



Hans Jeff Borger



Wednesday, August 22, 2012

A Visit With Big Band Broadcaster Gene Martin

 My dad is always lamenting that none of his children took over his family business, a restaurant. My response is always "Why didn't you own a radio station? I would have taken it over right away!"  I still tell my wife I would buy one if I had the money.

  I enjoyed my years in the broadcasting biz and I've always been a broadcaster at heart, despite the fact that the industry has changed as much as popular music has over the years. 

  Up until a few years ago a friend of mine, Gene Martin, hosted a wildly popular radio show here in Central Florida called "Big Bands, Ballads and Blues." In its heyday thousands listened daily and Gene was literally mobbed at public events. Alas as radio station owners get younger, they could care less about that kind of music and the station became another satellite news feed a couple of years back. Did Gene Martin fade into oblivion? No way!
Gene Martin has always been quite the Renaissance man and reinvented himself once again. He took it upon himself to create an entire radio station on his own via the internet. He even resurrected my radio career as The Nostalgic Rambler Radio Show is heard on his network. You can hear my show as well as Gene and his other announcers by visiting www.TheGeneMartinShow.com or by clicking here.

 Recently I got to spend an evening with Gene and another one of his announcer/music experts George Samuels. He is still very much interested in keeping the big band sounds alive for folks to enjoy. He loves to talk about the bands and singers, so you know how much I loved that! Here's a pic of him appearing with The Tommy Dorsey Orchestra. 
Here's the show lineup you can hear at TheGeneMartinShow.com:
weekdays:
THE DON BRUCE SHOW ON AT 8 AM 
 The Gene Martin Show AT 10 AM  &  3 PM. 

     CAFE’ SUNSHINE 12 PM DAILY starring Gene Martin
 SAMUEL’S SERENADE 5 PM WITH GEORGE SAMUELS
weekends:
PETE KING’S,  BIG BAND BUDDIES 9 AM SAT & SUN
    DON KENNEDY’S, BIG BAND JUMP IO AM SAT. & SUN.        
   NOSTALGIC RAMBLER 
WITH HANS JEFF BORGER 
1 PM SAT & SUN.
times are Eastern Time



Don Bruce's website is here.
Pete King's is a big band expert from the UK with a very complete and interesting website you will find here. It seems like the folks in Europe appreciate this music more than those in the colonies!

Here's a pic of George Samuels (Samuel's Serenade), Gene Martin, and yours truly.







I took this pic!  (left to right) my wife Heike, Gene, George, Gene's wife Ann, George's wife Harriet



Here's a final picture I thought was great! George showed us his new 3-D TV set. We were watching underwater footage and pictures from the moon. Gene asked if there were any 3-D shows of a big band concert. George said unfortunately there aren't any yet. Doesn't Gene look cool in his 3-D glasses?! 



I'm not sure how long Gene will keep his internet radio station going. It is a costly affair and a labor of love. Be sure to listen in and enjoy the great programming available to you worldwide on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment